Hair fall, dry hair, itchy scalp, hair-thinning, dermatitis, stunted-hair growth, are you searching for solutions to these hair issues? Well, then this article is for you! It speaks about how you can tackle hair related problems in one of the most natural ways - by using essential oils for hair.
Have you ever felt energised from the fresh orangey scent from peeling an orange? Or calmed by the heavenly aroma of lavender? The fragrance emitted by some fruits, flowers, leaves or barks, is due the characteristic essence of that plant. And it’s this essence that yields the famous essential oil of that plant.
You may have read about the use of essential oils for aromatherapy. However, these special oils do a lot more than just invigorating your senses! They have numerous benefits, and one such use is in combating various hair issues and supporting rich hair growth.
Wondering what classifies the essential oils apart from the other regular oils?
Well, essential oils are volatile and light to touch. They are derived from the non-fatty part of the plant. On the other hand, the regular oils feel heavy and greasy as they are extracted from the fatty part, which includes nuts, seeds, and even kernels. Essential oils are to be used in a diluted format and lesser quantities as they are highly concentrated.
To know more about which essential oil suits your hair based on their effectiveness, keep reading along.
Top 12 Best Essential Oils for Hair Health
Hair complications are caused by various reasons, ranging from genetics, hormones, climate change to methods one uses for their hair maintenance. Unfortunately, the role of genetics and external factors play on the growth and wellbeing of our hair is beyond our scope. Let us find out how we can repair and maintain our hair using natural means available to us.
Following is the list of essential oils that could solve various hair complications and assist in healthy growth.
1. Lavender Essential Oil For Hair Growth
Lavender oil is stated to have antibacterial and antifungal components. This aids in the healthy maintenance of your hair and the follicles, improving your scalp's health considerably. In a study conducted over 4 weeks, the topical application of the Lavender oil five times every week, once a day gave positive outcomes such as increasing the depth and number of the hair follicles, reduction in the inflammatory cells, and even portrayed an increase in the thickness of the dermal layer.
2. Peppermint Essential Oil For Oily Scalp
Peppermint oil belongs to the mint family, and its minty impact bestows a cold and tingling sensation, which increases the circulation of the area on which it is applied. This specifically helps in enhanced hair growth of hair shafts present in the anagen (growing) phase. Peppermint essential oil stimulates the scalp and also diminishes dandruff formation. Due to the increase in the stimulation, it supports the healthy growth of hair.
3. Lemongrass Essential Oil For Hair Strengthening
The topical application of Lemongrass essential oil on the scalp is known to strengthen the hair shafts and stimulate hair growth. It contains antifungal and antibacterial properties, giving relief from itchy scalp and dry scalp or hair. Because of this ability, it is widely recommended for those having dandruff related issues. Its maximum efficacy is stated to be experienced within 7- 14 days of regular topical usage.
4. Tea Tree Essential Oil For Dandruff Treatment
Did you know that Tea tree essential oil can unclog hair follicles? This property of tree tea essential oil disallows the formation or buildup of excess oil on the scalp. It eradicates the collection of dead skin cells as well as controls the build-up of hair product residue. If your hair follicle remains unclogged, it causes dandruff formation and reduces the growth of your hair. Tree tea oil is also known to mend complications such as scalp eczema.
5. Ylang Ylang Essential Oil For Smooth Hair
The Ylang Ylang essential oil is beneficial, especially for those who have dry, rough, and brittle hair. You would know that having a dry and weak hair strand is the most common cause of hair breakage. The topical application of the Ylang Ylang essential oil is known to enhance and stimulate sebum production, the oily material released from the sebaceous gland. This, in turn, improves the texture of the hair and strengthens it. Ylang Ylang essential oil also contains antiseptic properties that can help eliminate lice or nits.
6. Bergamot Essential Oil For Hair Lustre
Do you feel that your hair has lost its radiance and looks dull or natural luster? Well, then this oil is for you! Bergamot essential oil can revamp your hair's look and provide it with the required shine and sheen. Along with this, it can even strengthen your hair follicles and hair strands. It reduces the loss of hair and supports healthy hair growth as well.
7. Cedarwood Essential Oil For Hair Fall Control
Cedarwood essential oil is prominent for its ability to cleanse and improve the circulation of the scalp. If you face stunted hair growth, this oil can revive the healthy growth of hair and reduce thinning. Topical application of Cedarwood essential oil can tighten the hair follicles and prevent hair loss. It encourages the appearance of increased hair volume when used appropriately. It even possesses anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that could combat dandruff formation and related issues.
8. Orange Essential Oil For Dry Scalp
Applying Orange essential oil on your hair infuses the rich Vitamin-C content it contains into your scalp as well. This oil works best against dry scalp and hair-thinning issues. It would even impart a fruity scent to your hair, leaving you feeling fresh. When used along with honey, the topical application of this oil can restore the moisture content and balance the skin's pH level and balance the production of vital natural oils needed for healthy hair growth.
9. Cinnamon Essential Oil For Scalp Stimulation
The use of Cinnamon Essential oil for the hair are mainly to address dandruff, thinning of hair along with hair fall. This oil along with a suitable carrier oil revives hair growth and even aids in cleansing hair roots. Adding a drop of the cinnamon essential oil to a regular shampoo helps add luster to the hair strands. However, the benefit of cinnamon essential oil for the hair needs further scientific research to give impactful evidence to the hair problems it claims to eliminate.
10. Eucalyptus Essential Oil For Dry and Itchy Scalp
This oil has numerous medicinal benefits, but did you know about the efficacy of applying Eucalyptus essential oil for the hair? Cosmetic application of this oil can nourish the hair, encourage hair growth, and reduce itchy flakes and associative dryness. This oil contains antiseptic elements that could eradicate the growth of lice or nits from the hair shafts. It even promotes healing in case of any injuries or bruises on the scalp.
11. Pine Essential Oil For Dandruff Prevention
Pine essential oil contains an antimicrobial property that aids in preventing bacterial formation. It even eliminates the build-up of oil, dead skin cells, and dirt that could hamper hair's healthy growth. It contains anti-inflammatory constituents that keep away inflammation and itchiness. It contributes towards maintaining the hair follicles and hair strands' moisture content, thereby preventing the onset of dandruff. Even Pine essential oil works in the removal of lice infestation.
12. Sweet Basil Essential Oil For Hair Volume and Shine
The warmly floral-scented Sweet Basil essential oil rejuvenates the hair strands and imparts a freshness to the hair, allowing them to be easily manageable. Not only this, it also provides hydration and softens your tresses. The oil regulates sebum production in the scalp, which encourages robust hair growth. Sweet Basil essential oil is known to diminish or slow down hair loss, thereby increasing the volume of hair over some time. It can soothe the hair shafts and clarify it as well, leaving your hair feel bouncy and voluminous.
Now, as we have read about the plethora of essential oils and the benefits each of it provides for the hair, next, let us dive into understanding the methods of using the essential oil for your hair care regimen.
How To Use Essential Oils For hair?
Here, we'll talk about the variety of ways one could incorporate the essential oils for hair in the regular hair care routine. Before we begin, remember that essential oil should always be used in its diluted form. For dilution, take the assistance of suitable carrier oil that reduces the concentration of the main essential oil.
- Based on the quality of the hair, one should decide the carrier oil. It is stated that those having oily hair should consider carrier oils that are lighter such as Apricot kernel oil, Sweet Almond oil, or Grapeseed oil. These carrier oils would balance the production of oil. In the case of dry hair, a carrier oil such as Coconut, Shea, or Avocado is deemed to be beneficial to combat the dryness along with providing the necessary benefit of the essential oil. You can also use Sesame oil as the carrier oil. It works for all hair types.
- Take 2-3 drops of the desired essential oil and blend it well with a carrier oil of your choices such as Coconut, Almond, or Sesame. Next, section out your hair, apply small quantities of the oil around your scalp, and massage well following circular motions. You could either rinse the oil after 3-4 hours of application or leave it overnight and rinse it the next day.
- Essential oils could be used as an ingredient in your hair spray as well. Firstly, to make a hair spray and essential oil, heat a small pan of distilled or pure water for a few minutes. After switching off the heat source, add a spoonful of coconut sugar, and mix thoroughly until it dissolves. After this, allow the mixture to cool down and next, add around 25 drops of the desired essential oil. To store it, pour the whole solution into a glass spray container. You could make use of this solution for your hair for nearly three weeks, after which it should be discarded.
- You could even add a few drops of the best suitable essential oil in either of your regular shampoo, conditioner, or hair mask. Apply the product as you would typically use and rinse it off thoroughly.
Through these means, one could avail of the benefits of essential oil.
How to check the quality of essential oils for hair?
To find out about the quality of the essential oil, consider the following tips.
- Select organic therapeutic grade essential oil that has certification instead of purchasing synthetic ones as they would contain external additives.
- Research the brand or company well before making a purchase. Know whether it discloses the source of oil and the test results. Check the repeatability and reliability of the company.
- Beware of the oil price and do not fall for lowly priced essential oil. These could be adulterated; usually premium quality essential oil would fall in a higher rate category.
Thereby, keeping in mind these points and sections you can now go ahead to utilize the essential oil best suitable for you and avail the benefits it provides safely.
Kama Ayurveda Essential Oils are made by distilling hydrophobic liquid, sourced from different parts of the plants like the flowers, roots, barks, fruits and leaves. They contain volatile aroma compounds, which emit a mesmerising fragrance. They are 100 percent pure and natural.
Next, let us find out about the possible side-effects of using essential oils.
Are there any side-effects of using essential oils for hair?
Even though there are numerous advantages one could experience while using an essential oil, it is necessary to be aware of the possible side-effects as well. One should responsibly utilize essential oil through safe means only. Note the following points before investing in a premium quality essential oil.
- Never use essential oil, directly or in its undiluted format. As mentioned previously, essential oils are highly concentrated. Possible side effects of using them in undiluted format include redness on the applied area, rashes, hives, reduced blood pressure, sudden dizziness, and nausea, diarrhea, increase in heartbeat, etc.
- To avoid these possible issues, remember to consult your general practitioner before incorporating it into your regime.
- If you face any such irregular experiences on the application, discontinue its usage immediately, and seek medical advice.
- Pregnant women and children should be cautious about using the essential oil, and seeking medical guidance before use is best suggested to prevent any adverse complications.
If you’ve any other queries about using essential oils for hair, you can book a free consultation with Kama Ayurveda beauty experts.